(COLOMBO, LANKAPUVATH) – Preliminary investigation relating to the above incident reveals that the parties concerned may have committed certain offences under the Penal Code of Sri Lanka.
To conduct further investigations on this matter I have given directions in writing, to National Child Protection Authority’s Assistant Superintendent of Police, Mr.MerrilRanjan.
The directions can be summed up as follows:
- To determine all details of school children who participated in the said event and the names and details of the School Teachers who accompanied them.
- To provide lists of names of officials who requested the class Teachers to engage the School Children in this event.
- To provide lists of names and other details of the parents of the children who participated in the event.
- Whether the children were provided food and drink during the event.
- A detailed statement from the School Principal.
- To provide statements from the Provincial Education Director and the Provincial Education Secretary with regard to the event.
- To provide details of any children who fell ill during the event. If so, such Children to be produced before a JMO and obtain a report.
- To provide the name and designation of the person who was in charge of the protection and well-being of the children during the event.
- To determine the nature of Police Protection given to the children.
- How far did each child have to walk during the event.
A Special Police Team has been deployed by the National Child Protection Authority to carry out further investigations.