(COLOMBO, LANKAPUVATH) –President Maithripala Sirisena opened the newly built four-storey storage facility building of the Sri Lanka Ayurvedic Drugs Corporation,yestesterday (06th). Sri Lanka Ayurvedic Drugs Corporation, which was incorporated in 1969 by the government extraordinary gazette notification No. 14853/1 dated 11May 1969 under the provision of the State Industrial Corporation Act. No. 49 of 1957 as the pioneer of manufacturing and marketing of Ayurvedic Drugs to the government hospitals, Ayurvedic physicians and private sector has been playing the major role in the health sector in Sri Lanka for more than 40 years.
The Ayurvedic Drugs Corporation has taken steps to produce herbal products, and herbal cosmetics after January 2015 turning the drugs manufacturing sector into a new field.It was due to this new step that enabled to uplift the Production of the Ayurvedic drugs, which was Rs.270 million in 2014 to Rs.343 million and to increase the income from Rs.340 million in 2014 to Rs.501 billion in 2017.
The President who unveiled the commemoration plaque opened the new store complex. New 7 categories of drugs produced by Sri Lanka Ayurvedic Drugs Corporation were also exhibited. Minister Rajitha Senarathna, Deputy Minister Faizal Cassim, Chief Minister of Western Province Isura Devapriya, and the Chairman of Sri Lanka Ayurvedic Drugs Corporation Lal Samarasighe were present in this event.