(COLOMBO, LANKAPUVATH) –The Police Department introduced a new hotline number, 1997, for the public to provide information regarding criminal activities such as drug rackets and organised crime, yesterday.
The Department, in a statement, said that the hotline is operated by a special unit at the Police Headquarters.
Information regarding the following matters can be provided to the hotline:
1. Information regarding dangerous drugs.
2. Information on activities that could pose a threat to national security.
3. Information on activities that could disturb public peace.
4. Information on large-scale corruption.
5. Information on organised criminal gangs and their activities.
6. Other special information.
The statement said that a new unit has been established under the purview of the DIG of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) to investigate into the assets illegally earned by criminal gang members and drug-traffickers.
The Police Department has also introduced the hotline number 1917 for the public to provide any information regarding illegal assets such as money, properties, bank accounts, and vehicles of criminal gang members and drug-traffickers.
The public can provide information to the Police Department using these hotlines from today, the statement said.