Melbourne to lock down with fans barred from Open

(COLOMBO, LANKAPUVATH) –The Australian state of Victoria will enter lockdown for a third time in a bid to suppress an outbreak of the UK strain of coronavirus.

Officials this week found 13 cases stemming from a quarantine worker who became infected at a Melbourne hotel.

The lockdown will begin on Friday midnight and end on Wednesday.

However, the government has said the Australian Open tennis tournament would continue in the state’s capital, Melbourne.

Spectators will be banned from attending the event from Saturday, which had previously allowed up to 30,000 visitors a day. Tickets will be refunded, tournament director Craig Tiley said.

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the current outbreak was not linked to the quarantine hotels used by the tennis players.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

20 + sixteen =