(LANKAPUVATH | COLOMBO) – Minister of Public security Prasanna Ranatunga today emphasized that while the President and the Government are recognizing the right to peaceful protests and demonstrations, it is also important that the lives of the people of this country be maintained as usual during such protests.
However, the Minister said various organizations have informed him that there are various obstacles to the normal life of the people due to the various protests and demonstrations taking place in this country.
Instructing the Secretary to the Public Security Ministry, Minister Ranatunga said such incidents were also reported during the Rambukkana incident and as these incidents are an impediment to the economic stabilization of the country, immediate steps need to be taken to ensure that normal life is not disrupted.
Therefore, the Minister instructed the authorities to pay special attention to the following matters during the protests in order to maintain the normal life of the people
1) To take necessary steps to ensure that ambulances transporting patients are not obstructed during protests and rallies ;
2) To take necessary measures to prevent any obstruction to the vehicles transporting school children during protests and demonstrations;
3) To take necessary steps to ensure that the vehicles transporting the office workers and public transport services are allowed to travel without any hindrance during the protest;
4) To take necessary steps to ensure that the vehicles transporting workers of factories operating on foreign investment are not obstructed during the protests;
5) To take necessary steps for vehicles used by tourists to move without hindrance during protests and rallies;
6) To take necessary steps for vehicles used for the transport of essential items;
7) to maintain public transport services during protests.
The Public Security Minister requested the Ministry Secretary to discuss with the relevant officials and take necessary measures to ensure maintenance of transport service without any impediments.