(COLOMBO, LANKAPUVATH) – Cyclone ‘Burevi’ has entered the island through Mullaitivu and Trincomalee areas, the Department of Meteorology confirmed.
The Department of Meteorology warns of damages to property, utility structures, and sea vessels, flash floods, and seawater inundation in low lying areas near the coast.
Accordingly, the Department suggests actions as precautions:
– Naval and fishing communities are warned not to venture to the sea areas around the island until further notice.
– Those who are out at the aforementioned sea regions are advised to return to coasts or moved safer areas as soon as possible.
– Coastal hutment dwellers are advised to move to safer places. Other people in the affected areas to remain indoors.
– Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
– Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
– General public is requested to be vigilant regarding impending extreme weather situations.
– For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
– Requested to be attentive about future advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology in this regard.