Inform the Police Commission if the way police controlling protests is a problem – Minister Bandula Gunawardena

(LANKAPUVATH | COLOMBO) – Cabinet Spokesman, Minister of Media, Transport and Highways Dr. Bandula Gunawardena said that if there is a problem with the way the security forces acted in controlling the protests, the protesters can complain to the Independent Police Commission.

Responding to a question asked by a journalist at the cabinet decision announcement press conference held yesterday (14) at the Government Information Department premises regarding the allegation that university students were attacked with chemical weapons by the security forces The Minister stressed that expired chemicals have never been used to disperse the protests.

He said that if someone has evidence against the functioning of the security forces, they can complain to the Police Commission to take action against them and punish them. Police Commission will take appropriate actions regarding the concerned party, he said.

Speaking about the mass strike to be launched today, the Minister said the law will be implemented to the letter against people who violate essential service orders and it is confirmed by the gazette notification issued declaring them as essential services.

He said that these decisions are taken for the continuity of public service for the well-being of people’s lives

“Transport, Ports and shipping, public transport, electricity have all been declared essential services. If the common law of the country is violated, the gazette notification says that the law should be implemented to the letter,” Minister Bandula Gunawardena said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *